When targeting Pacific Sailfish, we mostly use bait & Switch techniques or troll rigged skip baits. Sometimes however we want to cover more ground and increase by-catch of other species such as Wahoo, Spanish Mackerel, Yellowfin tuna and mahi mahi – so occasionally we run lures.
The Sailfish season coincides with the Wahoo season so all lures are rigged on 125lb 49 strand wire. Make the leader long or the sail will use the lure head weight to throw the hooks when he jumps. We tag 4 out of 5 sail hook-ups when using long leaders. We find our lure spreads work best at about 6kts in most weather conditions.
This is what works for us. Its not necessarily what will work in your neck of the woods !
1. Wellsys Medium Talai – Purple or lumo green
2. Daisy Chain behind bird – Pink squid with blue/pink Mold craft Hooker on the end
1. McWhog – Blue/Chartruese – Rigged in front of a garfish (Ballyhoo)
2. Pakula Cockroach - Purple
1. Wellsys Medium Turbojet – Blue Silver / Green Gold (Evil)
(This is our absolute ‘must have’ in the spread)
1. Hollowpoint Mahi Sniper – Blue/White or Silver/Pink
2. Pakula Phantom - Blue Silver / Green Gold (Evil) or Blue Angel
3. Pakula Sprocket - Lumo
1. Marlin Magic Kona Bullet – Black/Red
Where we get our lures :
Lure Manufacturer Links :
Above pictures by Tim Simpson – BlueWater Magazine