The Billfish Foundation (TBF) carried out a review of all tag, recapture and release data for the 2005 calendar year and have reported their findings. Headline points were :
- 11,261 Billfish reports were received of which 3,881 were releases of billfish without a tag.
- 29 tags were recovered through recapture.
- Sailfish made up the majority of recaptures
- 5,242 tag reports identified hook type. Of those, 49% were circle hooks and 51% J hooks.
- The longest period at large for a recapture was2,580 days (7 years) for a blue marlin tagged and recaptured in Puerto Rico
More info see The Billfish Foundation (TBF) website